General discussion

NetWare 4.11 Server Crashed

By Q2Ggirl ·
I have a tree with three NetWare 5.0 servers. It also had a NetWare 4.11 server that was going to be retired. Well the the server died. What do I do now so that NDS, etc isn't affected by it? In NDSMgmr, it is setup to Read\Write. What steps do I need to take? So far things are still running smooth.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by tommymcbrayer In reply to NetWare 4.11 Server Crash ...

Here is the link for removed a crashed server from the tree. I have used this TID before in a lab and once in the real world. Your 5.0 servers will run fine you just need to clean the tree up so that the servers will not be referencing the crashed server any more. IE. time synch and replica sych. Remove any spaces in the link.

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10010922.htm

Cheers.
Tom CNE 5 & 6, CCNP, CXE

Collapse -

by Q2Ggirl In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by md.harrison In reply to NetWare 4.11 Server Crash ...

The Novell TID is valid. I'm assuming that there is nothing of importance on the old NW4.11 server? The worst thing I can think of is legacy print queue objects but I guess that this will be giving you a problem anyway. Basically go the the master replica server(s) first and do a dsrepair -a. Replica & partition operations. View the replica ring and highlight the crashed server, then remove this server from the replica ring. Do this on all servers in the NDS replica ring and ensure that none of these other severs have the crashed server in their rings. Take your time and give NDS time to complete the operation. After you've done clean up any references to the crashed server i.e. server, volume objects.

Collapse -

by Q2Ggirl In reply to

Collapse -

by Erekose MCNE In reply to NetWare 4.11 Server Crash ...

Although you rejected my last response for help I will endeavor to assist. Basically you should run dstrace on the servers left in the replica rings and DSREPAIR -A option on your Master. you should makes sure that all the servers in each ring are talking and one at a time remove the dead server from the rings that it is in. Once NDS has synched out (you can speed it up with +s *H +J and *F toggles in SET DSTRACE) and you are sure there are no stuck obituaries an all the backlinks are valid you can go about removing the objects pertaining to the dead server from NWadmin and use NDSMGR to remove the server itself. I have done this before when I had to retire an old server and fix a dead one. Just be patient and do it after hours so that you don't choke your network with a lot of chatter. There may also be some other switches and flags to use in SET DSTRACE like the BLINK and *B and you will also want to do a limber process as well +LIMBER *LIMB. Not a big deal just can take some time
Erekose CNE 3,4,5,6, MCNE, CDE(almost but not quite)Project management , A+ etc. (like all these titles mean something)

Collapse -

by Q2Ggirl In reply to

Collapse -

by Q2Ggirl In reply to NetWare 4.11 Server Crash ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)