I depend upon Google Keep for quick notes, checklists, and more. This handy cloud app keeps me in sync with my daily grind, and I'm always looking for ways to make it more efficient.
I happen to also be a big fan of Nova Launcher and Nova Launcher Prime. With the combination of Google Keep and Nova Launcher, you can gain access to one of the fastest ways to take a note for Google Keep. Here's how.
First things firstI assume you have Nova Launcher, Nova Launcher Prime, and Google Keep installed and have Google Keep associated with your Google Account (this feat is only possible with the paid version of Nova Launcher). With that said, let's see how this works.
Setting it up
Adding quick Google Keep notes requires the use of Gestures in Nova Launcher (which is why you need Nova Launcher Prime). You'll set up a gesture that opens a floating window for Google Keep (which is why you don't have to open the Google Keep app to input a new note). To do this, follow these steps.
- Open the Nova Launcher Settings (you'll find the launcher for this in the App Drawer).
- Locate and tap Gestures & Inputs.
- Tap to select a Gesture to be used for launching the floating window.
- Tap the SHORTCUTS tab.
- Tap Activities.
- Locate and tap Keep to expand the options.
- Tap .activites.shareReceiverActivity (Figure A).
- Tap the device home button to return to your home screen.
Selecting the correct activity for the Google Keep gestures on a Verizon-branded Droid Turbo.
Say you selected the Swipe Up gesture for the Google Keep action. From the home screen, swipe up, and you will see a popup asking for you to enter the Keep note (Figure B). Enter your note and tap SAVE to complete the action. A caveat: Once you tap SAVE, Google Keep will remain open—just tap the device home button to close the app, and you're good to go.
Adding a note to Keep from the Nova Launcher Prime gesture.
If the developers of Nova Launcher would enable this to auto-close Keep once the note is created, this feature would be perfect. Even so, it's incredibly useful for anyone who depends upon Google Keep.
Give this Nova Launcher Prime feature a go, and see if it doesn't make your life a tiny bit more efficient.
- Google adds features to Keep, Inbox by Gmail apps (ZDNet)
- How to add quick doodles to Google Keep (TechRepublic)
- How to multitask with Google Keep in iOS, Android, and Chrome OS (TechRepublic)
- Five Android home screen launchers worth checking out (TechRepublic)
- How to simplify taking and sharing an Android screenshot with Google Now (TechRepublic)
- Mobile device computing policy (Tech Pro Research)
Jack Wallen is an award-winning writer for TechRepublic and Linux.com. He’s an avid promoter of open source and the voice of The Android Expert. For more news about Jack Wallen, visit his website jackwallen.com.