Regardless of how low the unemployment rate is, the hiring process all depends on location, according to a WalletHub report.
The job market for 2019 is looking up, as the national unemployment rate has fallen to 3.7%, an 18-year low, according to a Thursday report from WalletHub. College graduates, in particular, are being set up for success, with employers planning on hiring 16.6% moremembers of the Class of 2019 than previous classes, the report found.
SEE: Telephone interview cheat sheet: Web developer (Tech Pro Research)
WalletHub analyzed the job market and socio-economic factors of 182 cities across the US, but with the job market—including job opportunities, starting salaries, and job security—being the primary factor. The metric was created on a 100-point scale, with 100 being the most desired conditions for job hunters, including average commute time, housing affordability, and transit accessibility. The list spans fairly evenly across the US as a whole, the report showed.
WalletHub identified the following 10 cities as the best places to find a job in 2019:
- Scottsdale, AZ
- Columbia, MD
- Orlando, FL
- San Francisco, CA
- Colorado Springs, CO
- Portland, ME
- Plano, TX
- Washington, DC
- Boston, MA
- Chandler, AZ
The cities with the most job opportunities included Orlando, FL, Salt Lake City, UT, Charleston, SC, Columba, SC and Portland, ME. These opportunities don't appear to congregate in one area of the world, indicating that there are good job options nationwide, the report found.
Some of the highest paid jobs to keep an eye on in 2019 include cybersecurity engineer and a systems administrator.
Check out the full cities list here.
The big takeaways for tech leaders:
- With the national unemployment rate low and hiring on the upswing, the job market is looking strong for graduates in 2019. — WalletHub, 2019
- The best places to find a job in 2019 include Scottsdale, AZ, Columbia, MD, and Orlando, FL. — WalletHub, 2019
- Dark Web: A cheat sheet for professionals (TechRepublic)
- How to manage job stress: An IT leader's guide (TechRepublic download)
- IT Training Policy (Tech Pro Research)
- Remote working 101: Professional's guide to the tools of the trade (ZDNet)
- 5 best standing desk converters for 2018 (CNET)
- The 10 most important iPhone apps of all time (Download.com)
- Tech history: Check out our coverage (TechRepublic on Flipboard)