Question

• Creator
    Topic

USB RS232 adapter causes Blue Screen BSOD

by techforum ·

I have a laptop running VISTA without a serial connector. I purchased a USB/db9 adapter. About every 5 uses, it will result in BSOD. When it works, it works well. But when it causes BSOD, the only way to resolve is to: remove all USB devices in Device Manager, reboot, rediscover USB. Besides BSOD annoyance, it increments the Comm port number. I am now up to COMM-33.
    I use the USB/Serial adapter to configure Cisco hardware via the console port.
    1) It would be great to have a RJ45 Console cable that does not connect via USB.
    2) Is there a USB better driver, or Console Cable solution to not having a Serial Port?
    3) Can I make a RJ45-RJ45 cable that plugs directly into the RJ45/ethernet port that will function as Cisco Serial Console cable?

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by techforum ·

In reply to USB RS232 adapter causes Blue Screen BSOD

Clarifications

I thought a BSOD in Vista was system-recoverable?…

by older mycroft ·

When you get these Blue Screens of Death, have you ever followed the Vista instructions for recovery.

I’m not too familiar with Vista, but I thought only the RED screens were the unrecoverable ones. 🙂

OM at the Vista Launch M$ said

by oh smeg ·

In reply to I thought a BSOD in Vista was system-recoverable?…

You will never see a BSOD again because we changed it to Red. 😀

Apparently you are supposed to see the RSOD with a fatal Error and the BSOD with a more fatal error. Though I have no idea what can be worse than a Fatal Error.

No I haven’t seen one of those either but I have seen a couple of BSOD when testing Vista.

Col

I’m still waiting………….

by rob miners ·

to see a RED BSOD, seen plenty of blue ones but never a red. 😉

I’m (un)lucky !! I saw a RSOD last year! …

by older mycroft ·

Back when that self-pleasuring user installed his ‘Virus Protect Pro’ nightmare.

By the time he brought the laptop to me, about the only thing anyone COULD see, was the Red Screen of Death. 😀

Your problem here is the Adapter

by oh smeg ·

It’s Chip Set is not Vista Compatible.

If you look at the DB9 Plug there is a circuit board in that well at least with most of them anyway with LSI IC’s and a couple of passive components. The LSI IC isn’t rated for Vista here and that is your problem.

I’ve used these devices for a very long time without a problem and even as recently as last week I setup one on a Netbook to be used as a Secure Banking System with only the external dial up modem as the device that could access that companies Bank Accounts.

But quite a few USB Devices had chip sets not compatible with Vista in the early days of Vista USB Drive Enclosures where very common till the older Chip Sets used on the Interface Cards had all been used up. As these USB – DB9 units are not High Volume you may have one of the older ones that has a problem with Vista. It’s not inconceivable that it was Mislabeled accidentally or maybe even deliberately by the reseller who wanted to move old stock.

Col

Viewing 2 reply threads