With iOS 8, Apple introduced predictive typing on iOS devices, allowing users the ability to have the keyboard predict the currently typing and next words. The predictive text features work very well in iOS 8, but sometimes this feature can be a little distracting while you’re typing. Let’s take a look at how to disable and re-enable the predictive typing feature.
Temporarily hide the predictive text bar
If you just want to hide the predictive text bar temporarily while you finish typing, without having any distractions, perform these steps:
- Tap inside of a text field to show the keyboard inside of any app
- Tap and hold on the predictive text bar
- While still holding on the bar, swipe down
This will collapse the predictive text bar. A thin line will appear above the keyboard (Figure A), denoting this fact.
When the predictive text bar is collapsed, it still takes up space to show that the bar can be re-shown easily.
When you want to show the predictive text bar again, simply reverse the steps like this:
- Tap and hold on the collapsed predictive text bar
- While still holding on the bar, swipe up
When you swipe up to the top of the screen, the full predictive text bar will be shown.
Permanently hide the predictive text bar
To remove the predictive text bar completely from view, and keep from having it take any extra space on the screen, perform these steps:
- Tap the text field inside of any iOS app that allows the predictive text bar
- Tap and hold on the alternative keyboard button (this icon appears as a globe on the standard iOS keyboard)
- In the menu that appears, turn off the switch for “Predictive” (Figure B)
Disabling the predictive text bar will permanently remove it from display above the keyboard until you re-enable it.
Once this switch is turned off, you’ll no longer see the predictive text bar appear when entering text throughout iOS 8.
Do you use the predictive text features in iOS 8, or do you have the bar disabled? Do you have any keyboard tricks that work well for you? Let us know in the discussion thread below.