Despite the coronavirus pandemic, Flexjobs' April report shows 35 companies now hiring remote workers.
There are 30 million Americans out of work and filing unemployment claims, but Flexjobs' April report reveals that despite a drop in overall job postings, "remote job-openings in the technology industry are holding fairly steady amid the economic uncertainty," said Brie Weiler Reynolds, career development manager and coach at FlexJobs, which updates its remote-job report monthly.
More companies are hiring for remote jobs, either temporarily during the pandemic, or are planning to keep the jobs remote for the long term.
"As more states move to re-open, we may see some shift in the remote job market," Reynolds said. "But for many of the industries with strong remote hiring--healthcare, computer and IT, education, customer service, and sales--it doesn't appear they'll be among the first to return to in-office operations, so this strong remote-job market will likely continue for the foreseeable future."
Flexjobs' April report examined the top 35 companies that posted the most work-from-home jobs; 10 of those companies are in the tech world and can present an opportunity for job seekers to explore the range of remote job opportunities at leading tech companies.
SEE: Coronavirus: Critical IT policies and tools every business needs (TechRepublic)
The list below offers specifics about the range of tech opportunities in the FlexJobs' database (starting with the most at the top) that continue to hire for remote work and the types of jobs available at those companies.
Cisco's current areas of development include routing and switching and advanced technologies, such as IP telephony, home networking, wireless technology, optical networking, storage area networking, and security.
Recent remote jobs at Cisco:
- Platform engineer–software asset management IT
- Senior incident response commander
- Senior product marketing manager
Citrix develops virtual computing solutions designed to help people and businesses work together from any location.
Recent work-from-home jobs at Citrix:
- Manager, cloud core engineering–reliability
- Lead networking sales engineer
- Senior technical account manager
CrowdStrike and its cloud-based technology provides security technology, threat intelligence, and end-point protection to companies across major industries and business sectors. CrowdStrike has offered remote jobs to professionals in software development, computer technology, project management, operations, and other career specialties.
Recent remote jobs at CrowdStrike:
- Senior ux designer
- Senior data engineer
- Senior cloud security product marketer
Jobot combines artificial intelligence (AI) with human intelligence to fill jobs. The company hires experienced recruiters who leverage JAX, Jobot's AI-powered, proprietary recruiting platform, for the hiring process.
Recent work-from-home jobs at Jobot:
- Senior associate biostatistics
- SAP solution architect
- Node.js developer
5. Red Hat
Red Hat is a software company whose signature product, the Red Hat Enterprise Linux operating system, is used by clients worldwide. Red Hat has 80 offices in 30 countries and more than 13,400 employees who examine database and software development, system and content management, and other solutions.
Recent remote jobs at Red Hat:
- Platform technical account manager–financial services
- Principal software engineer–site reliability engineering
- Transformation sales specialist
6. SAIC – Science Applications International Corporation
SAIC – Science Applications International Corporation creates scientific and technical products used in industries such as national security, energy, environment, infrastructure, government, and health.
Recent remote jobs at SAIC:
- Electrical avionics engineer
- Structural and mechanical engineer
- Cyber security analyst
Steampunk offers cloud, cybersecurity, data exploitation, DevSecOps, platform, and human-centered design (HCD) services for Federal government agencies.
Recent remote jobs at Steampunk:
- Salesforce application developer
- DevSecOps engineer
- Senior Java microservices developer
8. Tableau Software
Tableau Software is a computer software company specializing in data and analytics solutions for government agencies, businesses, and individuals. Tableau Software's flagship product is Tableau, an application that allows users to easily and seamlessly visualize, connect, and share data across screens without the need for programming skills.
Recent remote jobs at Tableau Software:
- Manager, solution engineering–life sciences
- Regional vice president, state and local government
- Strategic account executive
TEKsystems places more than 70,000 professionals into career assignments that support critical IT engagements at more than 5,000 client sites across the United States and Europe.
Recent work-from-home jobs at TEKsystems:
- Java software engineer
- SQL server support engineer
- Network engineer
Veeva is a provider of cloud-based software and services for the life sciences industry.
Recent remote jobs at Veeva:
- Customer success manager
- Enterprise account executive
- Solutions consultant
"Over the last 10 to 15 years, we've seen slow, steady growth in the number of people working from home in the US, but this situation [COVID-19] has dramatically increased the number of people working this way," Reynolds said. "And we're already seeing that businesses are planning to keep some portion of their new remote workforces continuing to work remotely even after the crisis is over. In essence, this does look like a kind of tipping point for remote work where a substantial portion of the workforce will work remotely long-term."
- The latest cancellations: How the coronavirus is disrupting tech conferences worldwide (TechRepublic)
- The tech pro's guide to video conferencing (TechRepublic download)
- Coronavirus domain names are the latest hacker trick (TechRepublic)
- COVID-19 demonstrates the need for disaster recovery and business continuity plans (TechRepublic Premium)
- As coronavirus spreads, here's what's been canceled or closed (CBS News)
- Coronavirus: Effective strategies and tools for remote work during a pandemic (ZDNet)
- How to track the coronavirus: Dashboard delivers real-time view of the deadly virus (ZDNet)
- Coronavirus and COVID-19: All your questions answered (CNET)
- Coronavirus: More must-read coverage (TechRepublic on Flipboard)