You can use Excel's Lookup functions to build a worksheet that can be used to search a database table. For example, say you've imported the following table from your Access database to Sheet2 of your Excel workbook:
To build a worksheet that can be used to look up an intern's pay rate by entering the intern's ID, follow these steps:
- Open the workbook, click the Sheet2 tab, and select the range A2:H5.
- Click in the Name box, type Interndata, and then press [Enter].
- Click on the Sheet1 tab.
- Click cell D6 and enter Employee ID.
- Click cell D8 and enter Name.
- Click cell E8 and enter the following function:
- Click in D10 and enter Pay Rate.
- Click in E10 and enter the following function:
- Change the cell format of E6, E8, and E10 to match the data type of the data in the table.
- Add a header and formatting as shown here.