The iOS 11 beta is now available to everyone. See which iPhone and iPad models are compatible, and follow this walk-through on how to install it on one of your devices.
Apple's iOS 11 is full of productivity-enhancing upgrades, especially for the iPad. And the good news is that you don't have to wait until September to experience it because Apple has opened the beta to the public.
Here are the steps to install iOS 11:
- Go to beta.apple.com and sign up for the Apple Beta Software Program.
- On the iOS device where you want to install the beta, run a backup using iTunes or iCloud.
- From Safari on your iOS device, go to beta.apple.com/profile and sign into your Apple account.
- Click the Download Profile button and when the dialog box for the iOS Beta Software Profile pops up, click Install.
- Plug in your device to a power source.
- Go to General | Software Update and you'll see an option for the iOS 11 Public beta. Click Download and Install.
- Follow the prompts after the installation and start putting iOS 11 through its paces.
Before you put iOS 11 on a device, keep in mind that the beta isn't finished, and it still has bugs. So, don't install it on a device that you use to get work done; instead, install it on a test device or an older device. The following devices are compatible with iOS 11:
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 5s
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro 2nd generation
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro 1st generation
- 10.5-inch iPad Pro
- 9.7-inch iPad Pro
- iPad Air 2
- iPad Air
- iPad 5th generation
- iPad mini 4
- iPad mini 3
- iPad mini 2
- iPod touch 6th generation
Testing it is obviously important for developers who will be building apps on it and for IT professionals who have to ensure that their company's software and processes will work on iOS 11 when it arrives this fall.
Oh, in case you need it: How to downgrade from the iOS 11 beta back to iOS 10.
- How to get Apple's iOS 11 beta for your iPhone or iPad
- Apple iOS 11: The smart person's guide
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch: The smart person's guide
- iPhone 8 wish list: 9 features that business users need
- Gallery: A decade of iOS changes from 1.0 to 11.0
- iPhone: Best and worst features of the past 10 years
- Apple releases iOS 11 preview. Here's what's new (ZDNet)
- Get your iPhone or iPad ready for the iOS 11 public beta (ZDNet)
- iPad Pro 10.5 inch: Back on an Apple computing device, but not the one I anticipated (ZDNet)
- This is what the iPhone 8 will (probably) look like (ZDNet)