This guide describes the specifications and special features of the Microsoft Surface Book and explains who the device is designed for and why it matters.
A modern mobile enterprise workforce is only as good as the tools it wields. When it comes to the best-of-the-best features of a notebook/tablet hybrid computer running under the Windows 10 platform, the Microsoft Surface Book is the archetype device. Microsoft designed the Surface Book as an example for customers and third-party vendors of what a hybrid computer could be, both in terms of computing power and features.
This TechRepublic cheat sheet reveals the Surface Book's technical specifications, special features, overall capabilities, price, who its designed for, and why it matters.
- What is the Microsoft Surface Book? The Microsoft Surface Book is the current pinnacle of performance and mobility for Windows 10 hybrid notebook/tablets.
- Why does the Microsoft Surface Book matter? The device establishes the gold standard for hybrid notebook/tablet devices running the Windows 10 operating system.
- Who does the Microsoft Surface Book affect? Users requiring power, mobility, and interface versatility that goes beyond the standard keyboard and touchpad should consider the Surface Book.
- When is the Microsoft Surface Book available? The Microsoft Surface Book is available now.
- Where do I get the Microsoft Surface Book? The Microsoft Store is the best place to get the Surface Book configured to meet your specific needs.
What is the Microsoft Surface Book?
The Microsoft Surface Book is the standard bearer for what a high-performance hybrid notebook/tablet running Windows 10 can and should be. With a 6th generation Intel Core i5 or i7 CPU and a discrete NVIDIA GeForce GPU with 1GB GDDR5 memory, the Surface Book is unique in its built-in computing power for this category. And with standard RAM capacity of either 8GB or 16GB, the Surface Book can handle the computational requirements of most desktop power users.
SEE: 15 essential support sites for Windows admins (Tech Pro Research)
Microsoft has added several new configurations to the line of Surface Books available from the Microsoft Store. These new, more powerful machines feature an innovative technology called Performance Base, which promises to deliver better performance with a battery life of up to 16 hours per charge. The newest configurations ship with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M 2GB GPU.
Specifications for the Microsoft Surface Book
With its innovative hinge, the Surface Book can be used in one of three configurations: laptop, clipboard, or canvas. In the laptop configuration, the Surface Book uses the standard keyboard, touchpad, and touch screen interface. However, in the laptop mode, the Surface Book also has access to a discrete NVIDIA GeForce GPU and an extra set of batteries.
In clipboard mode, the screen section of the Surface Book separates from the keyboard section and the device becomes a tablet, dependent on the touch screen interface. The PixelSense display also allows users to take notes with the Surface Pen and have those notes translated into useable text.
The canvas mode is made possible by the unique hinge system. Turn the screen section of the Surface Book around and then reattach it to the keyboard section and you have a drawing surface that no other notebook/tablet hybrid can deliver. Using the combination of the Surface Pen and the PixelSense display, users can draw and sketch images without having their creativity limited by a digital medium.
- Microsoft Surface Book review:Microsoft's bold first laptop doubles as a part-time tablet (CNET)
- Microsoft Surface Book review: High-quality premium-priced 2-in-1 hybrid (ZDNet)
- Surface Book: Microsoft just made the PC cool again (TechRepublic)
- Microsoft Surface Pro 4: The smart person's guide (TechRepublic)
- Microsoft Build: 5 big moves you need to know (TechRepublic)
- The clearest sign yet that Microsoft is cool again (TechRepublic)
Why does the Microsoft Surface Book matter?
The Microsoft Surface Book is noteworthy for two reasons. First, this device establishes a standard for all other manufacturers of notebook/tablet hybrid devices running the Windows 10 operating system. With the Surface Book, Microsoft has established the luxury high-end performance standard for the category. It is the device all other devices are measured against.
Second, the Surface Book is currently the most powerful, most feature-rich hybrid notebook/tablet on the market. If you truly need a powerful hybrid personal computer running Windows 10 that is also mobile, you have to consider the Surface Book. If money is no object, it is likely your best choice.
- The Surface Strikes Back: TechRepublic Podcast, episode 13 (TechRepublic)
- Microsoft Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book: The key takeaways for business (TechRepublic)
- Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book race ahead of iPad Pro and Pixel C at the high end (TechRepublic)
- The 3 reasons why Azure and cloud are the heart of the new Microsoft (TechRepublic)
- Microsoft may have reinvented the PC but is that enough to guarantee Windows 10's future? (TechRepublic)
- Microsoft is getting closer to completely modernizing Windows 10's native applications (TechRepublic)
Who does the Microsoft Surface Book affect?
The Microsoft Surface Book is designed for mobile users who require extensive computational power. However, with the unique hinge structure, the device also appeals to creative people looking for an interface that goes beyond the mere keyboard and touchpad. The Surface Book should appeal to users working in artistic design, architecture, and other creative endeavors.
- Photos: Best Windows 10 laptops for professionals (TechRepublic)
- iPad Pro vs Surface Pro: Which is the better choice for business? (TechRepublic)
- Predictions for a massive 2016 in Mobility (TechRepublic)
- Microsoft adds Datazen and mobility apps to Power BI (TechRepublic)
- Special report: Cybersecurity in an IoT and mobile world (free PDF) (TechRepublic)
- Research: Defenses, response plans, and greatest concerns about cybersecurity in an IoT and mobile world (Tech Pro Research)
When is the Microsoft Surface Book available?
The Microsoft Surface Book is available now.
- Microsoft's Surface Books get massive battery, graphics boost (CNET)
- Surface Laptop: $999 Windows 10-powered MacBook competitor revealed alongside $189 Chromebook challengers (TechRepublic)
- Samsung Galaxy S8 Microsoft Edition reveals Microsoft's true business strategy (TechRepublic)
- 20 big changes coming to Windows 10 in 2017 (TechRepublic)
- Windows 10 activation accelerates past 200 million devices (TechRepublic)
- Five things Microsoft got right in 2016 (TechRepublic)
- The potential of Windows 10 devices is revealed at Mobile World Congress (TechRepublic)
Where can I get the Microsoft Surface Book?
The Microsoft Surface Book is available in many technical configurations from the Microsoft Store and several other vendors, like Amazon, Best Buy, and Newegg. The Surface Book with the most basic specifications sells for $1,499, while the device with the highest performance sells for $3,299.
- Specs: Apple iPad Pro vs. Microsoft Surface 3 (TechRepublic)
- Microsoft Surface Hub introduces low-cost telepresence in 4K (TechRepublic)
- What professionals should know about iPad Pro: 4 takeaways (TechRepublic)
- 4 things mobile users should anticipate in SharePoint 2016 (TechRepublic)
- Microsoft's Surface Book, Surface Pro: Hefty price hikes blamed on Brexit impact (ZDNet)