Python moves into second place on GitHub's list of top programming languages and Dart tops the list of fastest-growing languages.
Python surpassed Java, PHP, C#, C++, and others to become the second most popular programming language, according to GitHub's annual "The State of the Octoverse" report.
GitHub Octoverse: Top languages
GitHub's Octoverse report isn't the only survey that shows the recent popularity growth of Python...a 20-year-old programming language. As of October 2019, it ranks first on the PYPL PopularitY of Programming Language Index, which tracks popularity based on Google searches for language tutorials. And according to the 2019 Stack Overflow Developer Survey, Python is the "fastest-growing major language today." Python also ranked second (behind Rust) on Stack Overflow's list of most loved languages and first on the list of most wanted languages.
Google Dart tops GitHub's list of fastest growing languages
When it comes to GitHub's list of fastest growing languages, Python makes the top 10, but Dart and Rust take the first and second spots. Dart's top spot on this list is interesting given that the language, developed by Google and first released in 2011, topped Codementor's 2018 list of coding languages developers should avoid learning. One reason for Dart's turn around is likely Google's subsequent release of Flutter, a cross-platform development toolkit which uses Dart. In September 2019, Google announced an update to the Dart SDK and the release of Flutter 1.9. The new Dart SDK included a technical preview of ML Complete, which added AI-powered code completion powered by Google's TensorFlow Lite deep-learning framework.
GitHub Octoverse: Fastest growing languages
- Github tops 40 million developers as Python, data science, machine learning popularity surges (ZDNet)
- Programming languages: Python predicted to overtake C and Java in next 4 years (ZDNet)
- Learning Python: Best free books, tutorials and videos (TechRepublic)
- How to become a developer: A cheat sheet (TechRepublic)
- Implementing DevOps: A guide for IT pros (free PDF) (TechRepublic)
- Telephone interview cheat sheet: Software developer (TechRepublic Premium)
- Programming languages: Developers reveal most loved, most loathed, what pays best (ZDNet)
- It takes work to keep your data private online. These apps can help (CNET)
- Programming languages and developer career resources (TechRepublic on Flipboard)