51% of hiring managers plan to engage independent talent this year to fill in key gaps and here are the most valuable skills to have to be contracted quickly.
COVID-19 decimated, along with the obvious, many businesses and jobs. Fortunately, for those skilled workers in the tech industry, there's been considerably less of a negative impact. Throughout the lockdown, tech jobs were either steady or, even occasionally, on the rise.
The popular work marketplace website Upwork took a deep dive into the world of freelance tech pros and came up with the current most in-demand skills. The site also noted that 51% of hiring managers plan to hire tech talent this year. This signifies the important role independent tech professionals have in the industry. It also is very good news for those who possess these skills and provides a great set of tips on what skills aspiring tech pros should be focusing on.
SEE: Virtual hiring tips for job seekers and recruiters (free PDF) (TechRepublic)
Despite the strain the pandemic leveled onto the country's economy, remote tech professionals have developed into a different kind of essential worker, Upwork found. The following 15 skills are highly sought-after, with a good deal of potential to steer careers, develop their businesses, build their CVs further, and to work on critical technical projects for worldwide business leaders.
Upwork's top 15 most in-demand tech skills:
- Website Development
- API Development
- Web Design
- Web Application
- API Integration
"Technology is evolving rapidly and companies must adapt to stay ahead," said Mike Paylor, Upwork's vice president of engineering & product, in a press release.
"This means building a virtual talent bench that can contribute diverse skills and deep knowledge to solving highly technical problems," Paylor added.
- Life after lockdown: Your office job will never be the same--here's what to expect (cover story PDF) (TechRepublic)
- Forrester: Automation could lead to another jobless recovery (TechRepublic)
- How to work from home: IT pro's guidebook to telecommuting and remote work (TechRepublic Premium)
- Research: Digital transformation plans shift due to COVID-19 (TechRepublic Premium)
- Digital Transformation: A CXO's guide - downloadable PDF ebook (TechRepublic)
- An IT pro's guide to robotic process automation (free PDF) (TechRepublic)
- Managing AI and ML in the enterprise 2020: Tech leaders increase project development and implementation (TechRepublic Premium)