Enterprises surveyed by Grid Raster noted a boost in productivity and cost savings after implementation.
Commissioned by cloud AR/VR solution provider Grid Raster, the survey found that 56% of businesses have implemented some form of mobile AR/VR technology, and another 35% are considering doing so.
One-quarter of those surveyed said they have fully deployed solutions and are looking to scale up AR/VR use, and with the COVID-19 pandemic continuing to change the way the world works, there's no better time to do so.
Grid Raster COO Dijam Panigrahi said the recent COVID-19 pandemic may speed AR/VR adoption, "especially as companies of all sizes look to implement more virtual design into their workflows to minimize human interaction."
SEE: Augmented reality for business: Cheat sheet (free PDF) (TechRepublic)
The top uses for AR/VR found in the survey reflect several of the top use cases for AR/VR previously covered by TechRepublic:
- 60% are using it to virtually supplement labor on production floors;
- 53% are using it for virtual customer visits;
- 53% for virtual design and product engineering;
- 26% are using it to train employees.
The survey's focus on AR and VR for mobile devices makes use during COVID-19 lockdowns even more practical: Most people have a smartphone or tablet, and so most can access AR training, customers can have technicians visit their homes to diagnose problems without ever setting foot inside, and designers can collaborate on 3D models from miles apart.
Organizations adopting mobile AR and VR for business have also reported productivity increases, which could be a huge boon for businesses dealing with lost productivity due to newly remote workers unaccustomed to the distractions of working at home. Some 29% of those surveyed reported a 25% increase in productivity.
AR/VR seem to be paying off for businesses adding them to their enterprise infrastructure: 61% of respondents say that leveraging AR or VR have resulted in a 20% cost savings.
- DevOps: A cheat sheet (TechRepublic)
- Microsoft HoloLens 2: An insider's guide (TechRepublic download)
- How smart tech is transforming the transportation industry (TechRepublic Premium)
- Technology that changed us: The 1970s, from Pong to Apollo (ZDNet)
- These smart plugs are the secret to a seamless smart home (CNET)
- The 10 most important iPhone apps of all time (Download.com)
- Tom Merritt's Top 5 series (TechRepublic on Flipboard)