With cloud computing essentially replacing the traditional data center, companies are facing increasing demands for new talent who can manage cloud migrations. However the right candidates are often difficult to find, according to Thursday Google blog post. Some 94% of IT managers said they found it at least "somewhat difficult" find individuals with the correct cloud tech skills, according to a recent OpsRamp report.
This cloud skills gap is a "full-blown crisis," the report noted. To mitigate this crisis, Google announced four new role-based certifications to help businesses locate qualified cloud talent, according to the post.
SEE: Vendor comparison: Microsoft Azure, Amazon AWS, and Google Cloud (Tech Pro Research)
Google announced the following four new certifications to the Google Cloud Certified portfolio:
- Professional Cloud Developer (GA)
- Professional Cloud Network Engineer (Beta)
- Professional Cloud Security Engineer (Beta)
- G Suite certification (GA)
Google chose these specific certifications because they reflect the core loud job roles every business should have, said the post. To effectively transition to the cloud, organizations must have strong collaboration across teams, particularly with team members who are responsible for designing and securing infrastructure, building applications, and connecting data, Google noted in the post.
Additionally, Google outlined some of its latest additions to its training catalogue, which are all focused on the cloud. Job listings mentioning "Google Cloud" as a preferred skill increased 1,082% over the past few years, according to Indeed. With this fact in mind, Google added the following resources to its training portfolio:
- Networking in Google Cloud Platform Specialization
- Security in Google Cloud Platform Specialization
- Preparing for Professional Cloud Architect Certification Exam
- Preparing for Professional Data Engineer Certification Exam
- Advanced Machine Learning with TensorFlow on Google Cloud Platform Specialization
- Industrial IoT on Google Cloud Platform
- Building Conversational Experiences with Dialogflow
To learn more about the Google Cloud platform, check out this TechRepublic cheat sheet.
The big takeaways for tech leaders:
- To mitigate the cloud tech skills gap, Google added four new certifications to its Google Cloud Certified portfolio. — Google, 2019
- The new certifications reflect the most important roles necessary for a business integrating the cloud. — Google, 2019
- Hybrid cloud: A cheat sheet (TechRepublic)
- Google Cloud Platform: An insider's guide (TechRepublic download)
- What is cloud computing? Everything you need to know about the cloud, explained (ZDNet)
- Best cloud services for small businesses (CNET)
- Microsoft Office vs Google Docs Suite vs LibreOffice (Download.com)
- Cloud computing: More must-read coverage (TechRepublic on Flipboard)
- How to become a cloud engineer: A cheat sheet (TechRepublic)
Macy Bayern has nothing to disclose. She does not hold investments in the technology companies she covers.
Macy Bayern is an Associate Staff Writer for TechRepublic. A recent graduate from the University of Texas at Austin's Liberal Arts Honors Program, Macy covers tech news and trends.