If your business needs to add video for marketing, and you don't have the creative skills necessary, Jack Wallen shows you how to make use of Google Photos for easy movie creation.
Marketing can be really tricky for those running small businesses or consultancies. You need as many tools at your disposal as possible; and with consumers becoming more and visually oriented, you need to add video to your marketing arsenal. Thing is, not everyone has the skills to fire up a video editor and create a professional looking video. That's why so many people turn to the likes of Animoto for promo video needs. However, did you know that you can create high-quality videos within the mobile version of Google Photos?
Not only are videos created by Google Photos professional looking, they are incredibly easy to make. I want to walk you through the process of creating a quick and easy video, all from within Google Photos. The only thing you will need is a collection of photos to be used in your video and the latest iteration of the Google Photos mobile app.
I will be demonstrating this on the Android Platform, with a OnePlus 3, running Android 7.1.1.
Creating your video
Once you have all your photos uploaded to your Google Drive account (make sure they are placed inside of Google Photos), open up the Google Photos app on your mobile device. From the main window, tap the menu button (three vertical dots in the upper right corner) and tap Movie. Scroll through your collection of images and tap to select the ones you want to add (don't worry about the order, as you can arrange them as needed later).
Once you've selected all the photos you want in your video, tap CREATE (Figure A)
Depending on how many photos you've added to your video (you can add up to 50), this step can take some time. Once the photos are added, you will find yourself on the video editor window (Figure B).
At this point you can do the following:
- Change the order of the images. To do this tap the right-most icon (the film strip icon) and then drag the images into the necessary order.
- Change the music. Tap the center icon and then select from either the included music (Theme Music) or from your own collection (My Music).
- Change the look (effect) of the movie. To do this, tap the left-most icon (above the overview button) to select from the built-in options. As you tap an option, it will be demonstrated in the preview window.
Once you have the movie exactly how you want it, give the movie a name and then tap the menu button and select Export video. This will download the video in mp4 format. You can also tap the share button and immediately share the video through the standard Android sharing system (which makes it very easy to share it directly to your business social media accounts).
And that's all there is to creating a professional quality movie from your images in Google Photos. For me, I create the movies with Google Photos and then use them in conjunction with OpenShot video editor and Audacity to add narration for an even more effective promotional tool.
- How to back up your iPhone photos on Google Drive (TechRepublic)
- Video: 3 pro tips for shooting great video on your iPhone (TechRepublic)
- How to delete photos from your Android device and retain them on Google Drive (TechRepublic)
- How to take better photos of your business with 3 free apps from Google (TechRepublic)
- Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus review: Stunning large display, balanced design, and advanced technology (ZDNet)