Group messages can incur numerous notifications in a short period of time. Learn how to curb these unwanted alerts by silencing individual or group notifications in Apple's Messages app.
Mobile device distractions can be productivity killers. One distraction that is particularly unwelcome is being included on a group conversation that you don't want to be involved in, and then getting notification after notification each time a group member chimes in.
Fortunately, you can solve this issue in the iOS 11 Messages app by enabling Do Not Disturb on a group chat or an individual message. Follow these steps.
- Open the Messages app.
- Select the group or individual message you want to silence.
- Select the Details button.
- Select the Hide Alerts switch to toggle it to on (Figure A).
Now when you receive a message from the group or an individual you will no longer receive a notification that a new message has arrived.
- Mobile device computing policy (Tech Pro Research)
- iOS 11 power user tips and tricks (ZDNet)
- Reducing the risks of BYOD in the enterprise (PDF) (TechRepublic)
- How to use group messaging in the iOS 11 iMessages app (TechRepublic)
- New iOS 11 feature automatically deletes unused apps to free up storage on your iPhone (TechRepublic)
- Hide the annoying app dock in iOS 11's Messages app (CNET)