CompTIA announced new certification testing options, which allow for remote examinations, according to a press release on Friday. Rather than visiting an in-person testing center, students can instead take exams virtually from their homes, whenever they want.
SEE: Coronavirus: Critical IT policies and tools every business needs (free PDF)
Amid the coronavirus pandemic, social distancing has become critical to slowing and preventing further spread of the disease. Most organizations have transitioned in-office employees to remote workers, banned international travel, and canceled major events.
Partnering with Pearson VUE, the skills certifications and training provider is opting for remote exams to accomplish the same goal: Keeping individuals healthy and safe.
Research has shown that the more IT certifications one has, the higher their paycheck probably is. While spending more time at home, professionals can now continue elevating their education through virtual training and certifications on CompTIA.
“Social distancing, indeterminate business hours, and other disruptions to normalcy caused by the coronavirus pandemic have made it impractical, if not impossible, for the foreseeable future for the large majority of individuals to take their exams at a brick-and-mortar school or test center,” Todd Thibodeaux, president and CEO of CompTIA, said in the release.
The remote testing option will be made available in about 30 days, but will be available indefinitely, the release said. Additionally, CompTIA announced that it is extending the expiration date on certification exam vouchers.
Exam vouchers with an initial expiration date between March 17, 2020, and April 30, 2020, will not be valid through June 30, 2020, allowing for greater flexibility during this time of uncertainty.
“We also understand that students urgently need alternative testing options. We hope that by extending the deadline for the use of our exam vouchers and by providing a remote testing option we can eliminate a small measure of uncertainty for our certification candidates,” Thibodeaux added.
Individuals who have already registered for an in-person exam at a Pearson VUE testing center can opt to reschedule their test to be online.
For more, check out 11 popular IT certifications and cross-certifications that pay the most on TechRepublic.
- The latest cancellations: How the coronavirus is disrupting tech conferences worldwide (TechRepublic)
- The tech pro’s guide to video conferencing (TechRepublic download)
- Coronavirus domain names are the latest hacker trick (TechRepublic)
- COVID-19 demonstrates the need for disaster recovery and business continuity plans (TechRepublic Premium)
- As coronavirus spreads, here’s what’s been canceled or closed (CBS News)
- Coronavirus: Effective strategies and tools for remote work during a pandemic (ZDNet)
- How to track the coronavirus: Dashboard delivers real-time view of the deadly virus (ZDNet)
- Coronavirus and COVID-19: All your questions answered (CNET)
- Coronavirus: More must-read coverage (TechRepublic on Flipboard)