TechRepublic member Janey79 would like to update their Android device to use a higher software version, but is having issues. Can you offer advice or tips to help this fellow member?
Welcome to our "Got Answers?" series where we are helping fellow members get answers to their tech questions. Are you the one who can help your fellow members with their questions?
Unlike Apple where they make the latest iOS update available for everyone to download and install, Android updates are slowly rolled out, meaning users often have to wait weeks before they receive the update on their device. So what do you do, if you want (or need) to update to the newest Android software now (instead of later), but you are unable, like TechRepublic member Janey79?
TechRepublic member Janey79 asks, "Hi, I have a S7 phone that wont update past android version 6 software. Keeps saying "software is up to date."
Is there somewhere I can download the latest software externally rather than relying on the built in auto-updater? Tried SmartSwitch and same applies. Kies wont run as it sends me to SmartSwitch.
Are you able to help Janey79 with their question? Just click the button below:
The TechRepublic Forums is a community of IT Experts, where you can go to seek advice, share your knowledge, brainstorm, shoot the breeze and enjoy the camaraderie of your IT peers. So, if you haven't already - Be sure to check out the forums today!
More Tech Help Questions from the TechRepublic Forums
- My WiFi is not working by work271296
- Find My Device Erase data feature? by lumdmc
- Pictures turning black by Jayerrr
- Video: What's new in Google's latest update to Android P? (ZDNet)
- Android P: New features, release date, and everything you need to know (ZDNet)
- Android P: Cheat sheet (TechRepublic)
- How Google hopes to finally solve the Android update problem with Treble (TechRepublic)
- 9 reasons why you'll want Android P (CNET)
- 8.0 Oreo Update for S7 (CNET Forums)
- Mobile Device Policy (Tech Pro Research)