Let’s face it, no one likes to spend more time than they have to studying for exams, so it only makes sense to find ways to “study smarter, not harder.” And while there are many ways to prepare for the Project Management Institute’s (PMI’s) exams, some tactics make lighter work of the preparation process.
Here are great sites that offer exam simulations aimed at helping candidates pass three of the PMI exams on their first attempt.
SEE: PMI certifications: What these IT certs could mean for your salary and PM career (TechRepublic)
BrainBOK offers a toolkit to study for the Project Management Professional (PMP) and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) exams that is combined with BrainBOK’s ITTO (input, tools and techniques, and output) Explorer, Exam Simulator, Flashcards, and Quiz. There is also a project management course completion certificate.
Its features include:
- ITTO Explorer, which helps in the mastery of PMBOK ITTO
- an exam simulator with realistic and challenging questions
- flash cards that cover almost every topic you need to know for the exams
- a quiz, which is a proprietary quiz engine with built-in intelligence
Exam Central offers a web-based PMP exam simulation with over 1,000 questions that are based on the 5th edition of the PMBOK Guide. The site provides detailed answers and progress reporting charts.
- PMP practice exam questions reviewed by PMP experts. For easy access, there’s web-based analytical progress reporting and explanations.
- full-length exams that follow the actual timed exam process, and group percentages.
- PMP flash cards with customizable card deck subjects, analytical progress reporting, and detailed explanations covering all topics.
- a PMP dictionary with a comprehensive list of terminology offering easy to understand definitions with alternative versions, easy to use category selection, and search features.
PM Exam Simulator and PM PrepCast
PM Exam Simulator and PM PrepCast, founded by Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM, have exam simulators to prepare for the PMP, CAPM, and PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP) exams. There is a separate pool of questions for each exam, and questions were created “specifically for one exam type and simulators ensure that candidates will never see an ACP question in the PMP simulator or the other way around.” PrepCast offers video training, exam simulation, and exam coaching options.
Core features include:
- detailed explanations
- three exam modes
- accessible through a PC, tablet, or phone
- mark for review
- up-to-date content
- start now or start later
- live feedback
- unlimited repeats
- in-depth statistics
- a realistic environment
- 24/7 support
Skillset offers basic and pro exam simulations with thousands of practice questions, classified by skill and ranked by difficulty, and a “readiness score” that tells candidates when they are ready for higher stakes exams.
- unlimited access to thousands of practice questions
- exam readiness scores
- smart reinforcement
- focused training ensures candidates are exam ready
- personalized learning plans
- an exam alignment engine to a candidate’s current baseline knowledge
- ways to eliminate wasted study time
- an exam pass guarantee
Founded by Andy Crowe, a leader in the IT project management industry, Velociteach has courses that combine three practice tests to help candidates prepare for the PMP exam. It consists of “600 unique questions, answers, and explanations in a simulated PMP exam environment.”
PMP and PMP-ACP exam simulations can also be purchased on the site via Amazon, along with a PMP exam quick reference guide.
Whizlabs offers a “unique step-by-step, online learning model that combines online instructor-led training with an online simulated series of tests wrapped in an exam simulator and video tutorials to maximize success in achieving certification.”
- four full-length mock exams with 995 unique questions
- objective-based practice tests
- exhaustive explanations with every question
- tips and tricks
- revision notes
- reports to assess strengths and weaknesses
- unlimited access
Give the simulations a try
Regardless of your studying style, at least one of these exam simulations is likely to provide the support and guidance you need to pass a project management exam on your first try.