Amazon Prime Day is a two-day sale on Amazon’s website, exclusively for its Prime members (an Amazon Prime membership is $119/year). The event usually takes place in July, but due to the coronavirus pandemic, Amazon Prime Day will be held in October.
When is Amazon Prime Day 2020?
This year, Amazon Prime Day took place in India on Aug. 6-7, but the online event has been postponed in the US three times. On Sept. 28, Amazon confirmed that Prime Day event will take place Oct. 13-14 for Prime members in the US, UK, U.A.E, Spain, Singapore, Netherlands, Mexico, Luxembourg, Japan, Italy, Germany, France, China, Canada, Belgium, Austria, Australia, and (participating for the first time this year) Turkey and Brazil.
SEE: IT hardware procurement policy (TechRepublic Premium)
What are the best tech deals on Amazon Prime Day 2020?
Amazon Prime Day offers massive discounts on hardware, software, TVs, gaming consoles, Amazon’s own hardware (Echos, Kindles, Fire Sticks, tablets, etc.), cookware, and thousands of other products. Below are deals on home office products, external storage, headphones and earbuds, iPhone accessories, and more. (Disclaimer: The pricing and product availability information was accurate at the time of publication.)
- Apple Watch accessory deals for Amazon Prime Day
- Best Prime Day 2020 deals on Amazon devices
- 10 best tech deals to grab on Amazon Prime Day
- Top Amazon Prime Day deals on Apple products
- Best Amazon Prime Day 2020 deals on home office products
- Amazon Prime Day 2020 deals on external storage
- Top Amazon Prime Day deals on headphones under $50 for business pros
- Amazon Prime Day 2020: Best deals on iPhone accessories
- Amazon Prime Day 2020: Best laptop bags and backpacks for business pros
Amazon device deals in the US on Prime Day
- Echo Show (2nd gen) – Sale price: $149.99 ($80 savings)
- Echo Show 8 – Sale price: $64.99 ($65 savings)
- Save up to $100 on Fire TV Edition Smart TVs
Additional Prime Day deals
- Save 20% on Sindoh 3D printers
- Save 30% on Dremel 3D20 DigiLab 3D Printer
- Save up to 33% on iRobot Roomba vacuums
- Save $75 on select August Locks and get a free Echo Dot (3rd Gen)
- Save up to 30% off Arlo Smart Home security products
Early Prime Day deals
On Oct. 12, Amazon started offering deals on some Amazon devices. Listed below are just a few of the early Prime Day deals.
- Eero 6 3-piece system – Preorder now and get a free Echo Dot and two free Philips Hue bulbs. Total cost: $279
- Eero 6 Pro 3-piece system – Preorder now and get a free Fire TV cube ($120 value). Total cost: $599
- Ring Alarm 5 Piece Kit (1st Gen-Refurbished) – $99.99 ($60 savings)
- Echo Dot (3rd Gen) – Sale price: $18.99 ($31 savings)
- Echo Dot + Ring Video Doorbell – Sale price: $69.99
- Echo Show 5 – Sale price: $44.99 ($45 savings)
- Echo Show 5 and Blink Mini – Sale price: $49.99
- Echo Studio – Sale price: $149.99 ($50 savings)
- Insignia 43-inch Smart 4K UHD Fire TV Edition TV – Sale price: $199.99 ($100 savings)
- Insignia 32-inch Smart HD Fire TV Edition TV – Sale price: $109.99 ($60 savings)
- Toshiba 43-inch Smart 4K UHD Fire TV Edition TV – Sale price: $209.99 ($120 savings) [product currently unavailable]
- Toshiba 32-inch Smart HD Fire TV Edition TV – Sale price: $119.99 ($60 savings)
- Blink Mini indoor cameras – one for $24.99, two for $49.98
What are shopping tips for Amazon Prime Day 2020?
According to GameSpot, Amazon typically features different types of deals during Prime Day, including:
Early Access or Countdown Deals: These deals will appear on Amazon prior to the Prime Day event.
Spotlight Deals: These deals last for 24 hours and may happen in the lead-up to or during the Prime Day event.
Prime Day Exclusive Deals: These deals run for the duration of Prime Day but selected products may run out of stock.
Lightning Deals: These are limited-time, limited-stock deals and typically run out of stock quickly. In order to stay up-to-date with the deals, GameSpot recommends that you “keep up with them through the Amazon app on your iOS or Android phone. You can get a sneak peek at the day’s Lighting Deals by pressing ‘Today’s Deal’ in the top left app menu, then the ‘Upcoming’ tab. Find a deal that you want and tap ‘Watch This Deal’ to get notified when it starts.”
This year, Amazon is helping support small businesses with its biggest small business promotion to date. Starting now through Oct. 12, Amazon will offer Prime members a $10 credit to use on Prime Day when members spend $10 on items sold by select small businesses in Amazon’s store. Here are the details about this promotion.
- Curated small business collections: Customers in the US, UK, Spain, Singapore, Netherlands, Mexico, Japan, Italy, Germany, France, Canada, and Australia will be able to shop curated small business collections, in both the lead-up to and on Prime Day. Prime members in the US can shop based on product category, business location, and owner profiles.
- Spend $10, get $10: Amazon is offering a $10 credit to use on Prime Day to members who spend $10 on items sold by select small businesses in Amazon’s store now through Oct. 12. Small business promotions are currently available in the US, UK, Spain, Germany, Italy, France, and Japan.
- Prime Day deals: Once Prime Day begins, members can use their $10 credit to purchase almost any product in Amazon’s store, including from small businesses. More than half of the items sold in Amazon’s store worldwide are from third-party sellers–mostly small- and medium-sized businesses. This year, Prime members around the world can shop hundreds of thousands of Prime Day deals from these businesses.
- Shop on Amazon Live: Throughout Prime Day, Amazon Live will spotlight exciting deals curated from small businesses across Amazon. Viewers will also have the opportunity to hear directly from business owners, learn more about their products, and shop their Prime Day deals during a reoccurring segment called Small Business Showcase.
How to save big on Amazon Prime Day 2020
Amazon offers various ways to get the biggest savings on Prime Day promotions.
- Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Cards: Starting on Sept. 28 and continuing through Oct. 31, eligible Prime members who apply and are approved for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card will instantly receive a $100 Gift Card. Cardmembers also receive 5% back at Whole Foods Market and on Amazon’s site with an eligible Prime membership, plus 2% back at restaurants, gas stations and drugstores, among other benefits. For more information, visit amazon.com/primevisa.
- Shop with Alexa: Amazon Prime members can discover deals by asking “Alexa, what are my Prime Day deals?” Now, and for a limited time, new Prime members who sign up for Prime using an Echo device will receive a $5 Amazon credit. Just say, “Alexa, sign me up for Prime.”
- Go in-store: Prime members can visit Amazon’s physical retail locations, including Whole Foods Market, Amazon 4-star, Amazon Books, Amazon Pop Up, and Amazon Fresh to find in-store deals.
- Amazon Live: Tune in to Amazon Live throughout Prime Day to see live product demonstrations, hear directly from brands, and shop can’t miss deals the minute they go live. Customers will see products in action through cooking demonstrations, try-on hauls, and more, and celebrities and influencers will be joining live to surprise customers with exclusive experiences. Viewers can easily shop the products and brands featured through a carousel that updates in real-time as hosts discuss the products. To watch, visit the Prime Day site or check it out via the Amazon Shopping app on Fire TV.
- Amazon.com in Spanish: Customers can visit amazon.com/espanol or use the Amazon App to shop, browse, search for millions of products, read reviews, view their carts, and place orders in Spanish. On the mobile app, customers can go to Settings and tap on Country And Language to select Spanish. This option gives customers the same convenient shopping experience in their preferred language on any device.
- Amazon app: Prime members can shop anytime, anywhere with the Amazon app to ensure you never miss a Prime Day deal.
More about Amazon Prime Day 2020
If you do not currently have a Prime membership, Amazon offers a 30-day free trial so you can participate in Prime Day.