Job postings for cloud computing and cloud engineers have risen 27% in the past two years, according to Indeed.
Building a slide deck, pitch, or presentation? Here are the big takeaways:
- Job postings that include the terms cloud computing or cloud engineer have gone up 27% since 2015. -- Indeed, 2018
- AWS, Python, and Java are the most in-demand skills for cloud computing roles. -- Indeed, 2018
More than half of tech pros say that the cloud and hybrid IT is their organization's no. 1 most important IT strategy today, as nearly all organizations move some workloads to the cloud, a recent report found. This has led to a surge in cloud hiring over the past two years, according to research released Thursday from job search site Indeed: Job postings that include the terms cloud computing or cloud engineer have gone up 27% since 2015.
Further, searches for the terms cloud computing and cloud engineer have risen 141% in the past two years, the research found.
For those with the proper skillset, working in the cloud is lucrative: The average salary of cloud engineers in the US is $114,796, according to Indeed.
SEE: Quick glossary: Hybrid cloud (Tech Pro Research)
Here are the 10 most in-demand skills for cloud computing roles, according to Indeed, based on the percentage of job postings that contain them:
1. Amazon Web Services
Amazon Web Services (AWS) was the first large vendor of affordable cloud services, and remains the largest player in the cloud computing market. Knowing your way around AWS is also one of the top skills that employers are seeking across all tech positions.
Python is the fastest-growing programming language, and is used by many cloud platforms.
Agile project management has exploded across the enterprise in recent years, and offers continuous improvement for cloud development cycles.
Used in DevOps environments, Puppet offers automation for AWS, which can save enterprises valuable time.
Chef is also used in DevOps, and can provide enterprise-wide analytics with its Automate tool.
Open source Ansible is a cost-effective centralized server management system that helps with cloud deployments.
Docker--one of the leading containerization technologies--is an open source utility that automates the deployment and management of programs in software containers.
VMware offers cloud computing and platform virtualization software and services used by many enterprises. The company also has a partnership with AWS.
- Special report: The cloud v. data center decision (free PDF) (TechRepublic)
- Cloud providers 2019: A buyer's guide (free PDF) (TechRepublic)
- Cloud computing: How to build a business case (ZDNet)
- Hybrid cloud: The smart person's guide (TechRepublic)
- Five major pitfalls to avoid in a cloud migration (ZDNet)
- CIO Jury: 75% of companies have moved to hybrid cloud (TechRepublic)
- How to become a cloud engineer: A cheat sheet (TechRepublic)